The Institute currently runs two distinct programmes.
- The Professional Programme
- The Technician Programme, known as the Accounting Technician Scheme West Africa (ATSWA) Programme.
A candidate who successfully completes the ICAG professional programme and has obtaied working experience in accountancy and approved by ICAG Council, qualifies to use the designatory letter ‘CA’ after his/her name.Successful completion of the ATSWA programme, however, opens up a way for people to take up middle-level managerial jobs and can serve a good introduction to the very determined who may wish to proceed to the professional programme. They can also pursue to CA professional programme to qualify as chartered accountants.
The Chartered Diploma programme is a professional diploma with specialization in various fields of business related to the accountancy profession. As an innovative programme initated by the Institute, the courses focus on equipping participants with specialized skills in for example:
- Forensic Audit
- Oil & Gas Accounting
- Corporate Finance Management
- Treasury and Risk Management
- International Auditing & Governance
- Public Sector Accounting
- Legal Accountancy & Finance
Currently, the Institute is running courses for Forensic Audit and Oil & Gas Accounting.
The Institute of Chartered Accountants (Ghana) is a member of three international bodies. These are:
- ABWA- Association of Accountancy Bodies in West Africa
- IFAC – International Federation of Accountants
- PAFA – Pan African Federation of Accountants
While ABWA is a sub-regional grouping of accountancy bodies in West Africa, IFAC is worldwide association, with headquarters in New York, USA and PAFA is headquartered in South Africa.The member countries of ABWA are:
- The Gambia
- Sierra Leone
- Cote d’voire
Chartered Accountant (CA) Professional Programme
- January and June to enhance adequate preparation for CA examinations in May and November.
- There are two semesters. The first semester runs from January to April and the second is from June to October
Accounting Technician Scheme, West Africa (ATSWA) Programme
- January and June to enhance adequate preparation for ATSWA examinations in March and September.